Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Summer is almost over already?

June 2011 - Ohio Aerobatic Open - registration hangout

It is amazing how fast time flies.  I used to think it was sorta pitiful when my grandparents would say such a thing. I imagined that time passed the same for everyone and they were just whining. As I get older and more involved with volunteering my time for one thing and another I totally empathize with them.  There isn't enough time in the day to do all the fun things that I want to do and that 'work thing' sure gets in the way of my fun a lot to and sucks up time I could be having fun!
In June I got to do back to back contests the third and fourth weekends.  The Ohio Aerobatic Open experienced pretty discouraging weather and by far the smallest contest we've had in 5 years.  19 pilots did make it to compete and we did have some fun.  I was running registration as usual and had hoped for some brave soul from our chapter to train with me, but my hopes were dashed.  Had a couple of people help out, for which I was very grateful, but they were not setting their sites on a future in registration, they were only in helping me during a busy time.
See photos from the Ohio Aerobatic Open HERE
Hella Comat and Brenda Bayley, Olean, NY 

It was my pleasure to attend the Olean, NY contest again this year. Only their second and they stumbled upon that tricky weather thing. Unlike the Ohio contest, they did not get a break and couldn't fly. This was my first experience in 8 years of attending a contest that was rained out. We had a lot of fun none the less. Always nice to be with like-minded aerobatic enthusiasts under almost any circumstances.  The wonderful find of the event was securing a new Registrar - Brenda is a jewel!  She learned the ropes very quickly and enjoyed it enough that she will be the Registrar for the Upper Canadian contest August 27-28.
See photos from the Olean Contest HERE
Laura Buescher, Michigan Contest - July 2011
During the weekend following the 4th of July I finally found the sunshine! The Michigan contest held in Jackson, Mi was a great event and lots of fun. Kudos to Don Weaver and Nancy Wright for all their prep work and running a great contest!  I enjoyed being a jack of all trades, but spent most of my time with their Registrar, Laura. She is a delightful person to work with and we spent as much time laughing as lamenting.  One of the "funnest" jobs the registrar gets to do is build the clipboards. I had arrived with some forms left over from the Ohio contest for them to use.  Unfortunately during my sorting process, I inadvertently mixed in some regular Known Advanced forms with our Unknown Advanced forms.  It was quite a surprise to have the chief judge call us up and ask why they had some Bs and Cs for Unknowns mixed in during the Known flight!  Color me red!
See photos from the Michigan Contest HERE

Larry Ernewein, Michigan 2011
So, the next thing - onward to Canada!! I can't say how excited I am to be attending this contest in Hanover, Ontario!  I think I've been asking my Canadian friends for at least 3 years when I can come help them throw a contest in their neck of the woods.  Looking forward to seeing Brenda again and seeing how she does with Registration.  The thing about any contest is always the people. So many wonderful people on both sides of the border!
Learn more about the Upper Canadian Open HERE


1 comment:

  1. it is now time to go back to office.
    i really enjoy my summer and it was in manchester.

    get a facebook fan page

    ReplyDelete