Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Refresh

     Last week I was privileged to sit down with three women who will be assuming the mantles of Registrar and Scoring for the Ohio Chapter. They show a true cross section of the volunteerism we have in our organization. 

     Carol is a wonderful friend, mother and wife. She's been very supportive of her husband and his flying endeavors for many years. She is rock steady, the #1 fan of her husband and consequently has inherited her husband's many aerobatic friends with open arms although her interest lies in the art world.  Robin is also a significant other, and as recently as October 2011 became involved in aerobatics. She is happy to help out, although like many of us, not really sure what she got herself into. She approaches her volunteerism with caution, but with a desire to support the activity. Sheri was a chapter member over 10 years ago and has just gotten back into the chapter. She is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about everything to do with aviation and aerobatics in particular and ecstatic to be back with akronuts!

    I'm am working my way out of the chapter because my husband and I are facing a move to another state.  Many 'hobbies' last about 5 to 8 years for most folks, but aviation is entirely a different animal.  We still see the short timers who shine as bright as stars momentarily with their enthusiasm, but we have a greater tendency to see people hang in for many years.  As with other aviation populations we feel the lack of new blood coming in, but are still cognizant of the fact that we must preserve and pass along our chapter history including the way we run the everyday business of being a chapter and running a contest. 

     So the question is how do we find a few very fine aviation enthusiasts or loving and understanding spouses to step up to lend a hand?  I used to think that taking some of the mystery out of the volunteer jobs would be helpful. But after spending the last two contest seasons traveling around and offering to train people for these spots I'm not sure that is the answer either. Although I try to put an upbeat spin on the tasks, most of the women I talk to look at this whole thing as a burden.  But broken up into small pieces it's really not that bad! Really!  And the more people to help and work together the lighter the load.. Really!

     I have gone back over this blog today and updated some links to documents. I want to say a special word of thanks to Brian Howard for updating the Registrar's guidelines!

1 comment:

  1. HI Lorrie,
    I'm starting to get 'seriously' ready for our contest in Olean in June, and I just wanted to let you know what a treasure this site is! I used it a lot last year and am now referring to it again to find out everything I've forgotten. Thank you so much for doing this. It's an awesome help!
    Hella

    ReplyDelete